Why did I pick NOW to become a blogger?

A few days ago I was given a diagnosis that rocked my world. I'm a 10-year old Corgi living in Portland, Oregon. I am reasonably healthy, except for that abdominal surgery I had last summer. Ok - I don't know WHY I ate that piece of wire but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

In the middle of March, I was told by the folks at the Veterinary Cancer Referral Service that I have K9 lymphoma. I was gobsmacked! My mom immediately tried to find out everything she could and, while there were many sad stories, there really wasn't much else to go on. There are "support groups" but my mom's not much of a joiner when it comes to those things.

What we decided to do was chronicle this journey so that others can follow along. Those who have their own dogs fighting cancer - lymphoma and other forms. Those lucky enough to have a Corgi. Those just SO abysmally bored they have no better way to waste their time.

So we'll see how this works. Be well - The Barney Dog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Week 4: I am the ANTI-DOTE DOG


Here I am – 4 weeks in and so far, so good.  I am, however, on a personal all-time high number of prescription drugs and supplements. I AM a tad woozy as I type this so I apologize if it rambles.
Due to my…rather vigorous response to needles last week, my mom gave me  acepromazine before we left for the Veterinary Cancer Referral Center.  Actually, she pumped me FULL of pills before we left at 7 am.  I am still taking 5mg of prednisone everyday for the next week.  I also get fish oil and mushroom extracts along with the Onco Support powder, which has everything from vitamin A to things like green tea extract, lecithin, spirulina, kelp, yeast, and zinc.  Basically A to Z.  No kitchen sink yet but it’s still early in the protocol. 
Acepromazine was used as an antipsychotic in humans in the 1950’s.  It’s now used almost exclusively as a sedative to “quiet” anxious animals.  My mom was wondering if she could lessen my dose and give the leftovers to some of the anxious humans she knows. Acepromazine can also be deadly to some herding breeds if they have a certain genetic mutation.  Fortunately, Corgi’s, apparently due to our superior genetic makeup, are not impacted. Australian Shepherd, Border Collie, Collie, English Shepherd, German Shepherd, Old English Sheepdog, and Sighthounds could all have problems with this drug and, as far as I’m concerned, with proper herding techniques as well.  Bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to herding. It's amazing how complicated things can get when it comes to drug interactions.
This week, I received doxorubicin, aka adriamycin, for my chemo fix. It can be pretty nasty and is NOT recommended for older muttlies or dogs that have heart issues.  Before I got my dose, I had my first electrocardiogram to make sure my heart was good to go.  I guess I passed with flying colors because they shaved my legs (AGAIN) and proceeded to hook me up.  I didn’t mind all that much because of the sedative.  I think I slept through most of it.  I just woke up with these shaved patches on my legs again.  It was kind of like the time my mom tells people about when she was in college and everyone got drunk and went over to “the city” and got tattoos.  She talked everyone into it and she was the only one who DIDN’T get a tattoo.  They were all a little upset with her.  Don’t know why.  One guy who eventually wound up being a doctor got the Bud Man tattooed on his butt.  Can you imagine waking up and finding out that you have a Bud Man on your derriere for the rest of your life?
When we left Dove Lewis, Jim gave me treats again. I can ALWAYS count on Jim to give me treats and a funny story. Jim told my mom that the Veterinary Cancer Referral Center is “housed” in Dove Lewis pretty much the same way Nordstrom and Victoria Secret are “housed” in a mall.  I think Jim wanted to be likened to Victoria Secret.  Frankly, I don’t know WHY they call it Victoria Secret.  If you wear what they sell, there ARE no secrets…but I digress.
I also got a smiley face on my report because I was drugged into submission.  My mom also got anti-nausea and anti-diarrheal drugs for me to take all week.  I guess it would be immensely unattractive if I had things coming out of both ends at the same time.  This could cause a logistical nightmare especially given the sheet full of “how to handle chemotherapy waste.”
Since the start of this adventure, I’ve somehow managed to lose 1.5 lbs which is disconcerting.  I mean – I don’t want to look like the average 10-year old Corgi, resembling an over-stuffed sausage casing, but weight loss is not something I am currently working on. My mom is going to keep an eye on it, which hopefully means more organic ground beef and healthy treats. 

Dinnertime has become a whole new process with everyone participating.  Since my food usually has some sort of medication in it, Fred and Tomo have to be kept at paw’s length but it doesn’t keep them from becoming overly excited as you can see by the video. 
But all is good.  My temperature is normal, determined by yet another daily pleasant experience. I get to sleep on the bed every night.  I know that I am lucky because I feel safe and warm and loved which is more than I can say for a lot of animals out there. 

6 comments:

  1. Barney your reports are hysterical! I am so glad to hear that your treatments are going well and to see via video that you are in good spirits, especially at meal time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why THANK YOU, you Funny Thing. Give Pebbles my best. As Always - The Barney Dog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing all that you are going through. I am going to pass your blog on to the vet clinic I observed at as they too have lymphoma doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie - please DO forward it! I just want other dogs going through this to know they're not alone. There is so much "stuff" on the Internet. I can NEVER eat grains again? What the heck does "immunosupressed" even mean? Does my mom really have to wear gloves to give me Cytoxan? At the very least, we can swap funny stories here. THANKS - The Barney Dog

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bud Tiger Kowalski emailed this. There seem to be some posting issues but I thought I'd share his thoughts w/ you guys. THANKS, Tiger!
    _______
    Hi There, Barney,
    I just caught up on your news. I hope all those drugs are working because you've become quite the pill-popper! I must admit that I'm envious of all that fancy chow and treats you're getting, but I don't think I'd want cancer to get them. I used to get more treats, but then someone said I looked like a fat Vietnamese potbellied pig, so mom cut me off.
     
    About that leg shaving... I feel for you, really I do. Because I have more hair than almost any other living creature, my mom is always shaving me (except for my Mohawk, which is lookin' really good right now). I'm waging a personal war with the clippers. Sometimes my hair wins and causes them to short out and blow the circuit breaker. It's pretty cool because then she has to give me a break.
     
    So, Barney, hang in there-- and enjoy your fine eats. Do you think your mom will keep giving them to you when your well? My mom and I are thinking good thoughts for you.
     
    Your Blog Pal,
     
    Tiger Kowalski

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bareny now you keep that mommy busy and your daddy too as long as he is home. Give them lot's of love because they sure love you so very much. Pebbles sends her love and sure would like you to come and vist someday soon. Hugs and much love Pebbles, Michelle and Caroline

    ReplyDelete